Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mom Update

Today was a day we have been waiting for for a very long time.  It will be 8 months tomorrow that my mother had her brain aneurysm and survived it after being told she would more than likely not make it through the first night.  But as most of you know she is one very determined lady who's time was apparently not up!  After all the hurdles she has been forced to jump she amazes me as she continues to beat the odds everyday.  Let's face it, she was dealt one bad card after the other when she was hit with this brain bleed and I'm not too sure if anything more wrong could have happened to her.  It was bad enough just to have an Aneurysm let alone the Pneumonia that settled in after some time, a Tracheostomy, needing a Pacemaker while in a medically induced coma, 4 head surgeries w/ 2 separate shunts needed at different times , 3 Blood Transfusions, GI Food Tube, a Sub Dural Hemorrhage (2nd bleed), several falls (while in hospital) the final fall resulting with a Hip replacement, VRE (infection), Months of therapies  and I'm probably leaving out a few things...

Needless to say, my Mother is the strongest, bravest woman I know and today marked just another small milestone in her journey back to health.  She had her Food Tube taken out today and she was tickled pink to have that thing gone and to her it was another hurdled accomplishment.  I could see the relief in her face when the procedure was over and the sigh she let out swelled my heart and made me reminisce about those long, hard, unknown days that we, as a family experienced as we watched her fight for her life for days on end, for months on end.  I am thankful every single day when I think about her journey and how close we were to losing her and I am thankful for all the support, all the prayer and encouraging words from everyone that was there for us.  GOD is good....for sure!

3 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

So glad she's doing so well, Donna.

Unknown said...

I love this so much. Thank you for blogging.

jessicaj said...

Thats wonderful Donna!